We will all be members of a learning community this semester. Enthusiastic class participation is essential. All students are expected to participate in a thoughtful, well-prepared manner that is grounded in the course assignments. Daily assignments should be completed before class on the day on which they are listed on the syllabus. Students should come to class prepared to discuss the assignments every day.
All members of the class are expected to reflect critically on they ways in which they can contribute to constructive rather than destructive class dynamics. I often call upon students and may not wait for students to volunteer themselves.
- Bringing class readings and/or notes to class to enable discussion.
- Possible in-class presentations, graded activities, or providing discussion questions for class.
- Taking notes.
- Listening attentively to the professor and the other students.
- Daily attendance
- Informed, thoughtful, and respectful engagement in discussions, activities, and in-class writing assignments on a regular basis.
- Respectful behavior in class. (Disruptive or disrespectful behavior—including arriving late and leaving early—will lower grades.)